Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Day 1 - What the heck?

Ok, this day was crazy. Just as this post will be.

In the Prologue I said, that I had no duties and no work until October. This changed a bit. As I wrote, I worked the last 9 months in the local protestant church. One of my duties was to clean the homes of three old ladies on a weekly basis. Until August there will be no one to replace me, so I agreed to continue this until the next "Zivi" arrives. One of my better assignments was to take the dog of my boss out for a walk 2 times in my 8 hour working day. Since I started my polyphasic sleep experiment just now, I decided to continue with this as well, but now it's only one time a day at 8am. I hope this will be able to wake me up in the morning, at least on workdays.

So, my first day as a polyphasic sleep began at 03.50am. I made some changes to my website, listened to some music and waited for my first nap. I was not able to sleep (what a surprise!) and when my alarm went off after 30 minutes I felt a little bit dizzy. Just as I expected.
The next naps were not successful either. I was sort of asleep, but then I woke up in the middle of my naps, just to spent some more minutes completely awake. I decided to shorten the 30 minutes naps immediately on day 2.

At 9pm I went to a friend of mine to play some Heroes of Might and Magic V while watching M.D. House and Monk. Even before my 11.20 nap I became very sleepy, but after this 30 minutes I was really down. It was hard not to fall asleep in front of the monitor. I actually thought about stopping the experiment. No joke. On day 1. As if my body was speaking to me, I asked myself: "What's the point in all this? Is it worth the effort?". I'm still wondering that this tiny bit of tiredness made my thoughts go into that direction. I felt exhausted.

Now it's already day 2, but I can't just skip what happened on my first nap (3.20am). This was the first nap with 25 minutes instead of 30, so I expected to feel even more tired than before. But.. BUT! I woke up about 10 seconds before the alarm went off. I woke up from a real vivid dream. A DREAM! And I still remember what happened. I thought my first dream would occur on the end of the first week, or some days later. And I wasn't sure if I EVER would be able to wake up without an alarm. Now it happened both on day 2 on the critical 3am nap.

I think my 3 months of daily napping (exactly 25 minutes - every time) are really paying off now. I already wrote that I woke up in the middle of my 30 minute naps, but when I think about it again, I bet that I woke up after 25 minutes every time.

Now? Now I feel great. This last nap really changed everything. I'm really curious how long my adaption will take with a success like this in the beginning.



Diese Seite zu Mister Wong hinzufgen

No comments: